Tuesday 20 September 2011

An Autumnal and somewhat gloomy take on the city...

I came across this old poem I wrote a few years ago. It describes the grey, hostile side of the city, viewed from a park bench (without a bottle of cheap cider, which would have been a perfect accompaniment given the mood of the poem). I was very much playing around with the structure/ form of the lines and I am not sure it works here, but anyway:

The city.

My hands. A bursting grapefruit full of acid juice.
A half-smoked cigarette smoulders in the gutter,
rolling to and fro with the breeze in a restless dance.
Ash bleeds into the drain.

An old man cycles past on a battered bike,
wisps of silver hair
whisper his secrets to the world from his pink head.

Ten kilos of wet sand sit in hessian sacks,
slumped at the foot of a nearby silver birch tree.

Red flowers of passionate velvet create hints of sex in this grey cityscape.
Conkers lie scattered on the grass and gravel,
smashed underfoot to a bruise coloured mush.
The smattered brown skins bear broken pearls of brown and black.
Fleshy, spiked green shells are but a distant memory,
no longer a muse.

A blue-eyed child runs wide into the embrace of the wind,
mittens flying beside him,
desperate to keep up the pace.

A smug roly-poly sausage dog raises his hind leg and
trickles confirmation of his existence onto some conker mess,
making a pungent muddy soup.

Leaves paper the poop scoop bin
with their fragile veins
and deep decorative shades
of red, orange, yellow and brown.

A filthy pigeon flutters from his lampost perch to the bin below.
He stops, jutting his head from side to side,
then sweeps away into the sky,
a little dot dunked in a vat of the city's shit.

This is the city.

Beautiful in its naked ruin.
Ferocious in its pace,
fragile and lingering in its traces.
I watch in the wake of its life.

A quiet tide sweeps over the roads like a tired, maternal broom.
The debris of another city day washes over the grey tarmac
and trickles
down the cracks
in
the
pavements.

This is the city.

3 comments:

  1. I love it! The greyness really comes through, I can see it. But also the little details you describe, pockets of colour. It's vivid to me and an important contrast, it's so visual. What I also love is how your poem captures the transient nature of a city, the hustle and bustle. Little events which might otherwise be missed. Despite the wee and feral pigeons, there is a real poignancy coming through for me. I always remember my elder brother telling me that when he came to london as a little boy, he didn't understand, couldn't comprehend why everything was grey, he literally thought London was grey. He was used to beach, forest and mountains, not living in an apartment near Kings Cross. Love the poem! (and Booglog loves it too!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really vivid and some inventive images/wordplay e.g. the man's whispering wisps of hair. I like the way it starts with looking at your own hands then opens out more and more, like the scene around you is an extension of yourself - it shows that any place, however drab, can be beautiful if you really look at it, and the act of putting the scene into very personal words makes everything new. Which really makes me want to have a go at writing a poem! Thanks, Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should do it Mike! You are very good at writing, sure you could come up with something pleasing :)

    Thank you both for your comments - really appreciate you reading my poem. woohoo! Everytime I read something from someone who has read it, I feel motivated to write more and more. Our net is down at home so have hardly had time to post but going to do one now on my lunchbreak...

    ReplyDelete