Tuesday 1 November 2011

Letter from Martha Graham to Agnes De Mille

I want to share the best piece of creative wisdom I have ever come across...

There is a famous letter that the influential dancer/choreographer Martha Graham (1894 - 1991) wrote to her friend Agnes De Mille (1905 - 1993), also a perpetual figure in the twentieth century dance world. This letter is often passed along in creative circles across every sphere of the art world, and no wander. I think it captures the essence of creativity perfectly. These are words to encourage everyone to develop their creative side; artist or amateur. I don't think this letter is exclusive to the art world either, the words can also be applied to how we live our lives. They struck me the first time I read them and I return to them everytime I feel lazy, bored or restless for a little kick up the bum.
“There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all Time, this expression is unique.

And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and be lost. The world will not have it.

It is not your business to determine: how good it is; nor how valuable it is; nor how it compares with other expressions.

It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work.

You have to keep open and aware directly to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open … no artist is pleased…there is no satisfaction whatever at any time.

There is only a queer, divine dissatisfaction; a blessed unrest that keeps us marching and makes us more alive than the others."
We only need to watch Martha Graham's dance works to appreciate her words all the more. Much of her choreography could easily be described as frightening, angular, and even uncomfortable. For example, her pivotal piece Lamentation (1930) expresses grief and inner turmoil. Graham performs alone dressed in a purple tube of material. Her movements are tortured and self-conscious, a far-cry from the classical ballet style typical of the 1930s dance world. The piano accompaniment is harsh and dis-jointed and adds to the morbid, drained tone of the movement. There is no averting ones attention though or gliding over the aesthetics, we are gripped by Graham. She has us completely in her possession for these few minutes. Many find her style ridiculous, pointless, ugly - 'that's not dance' is a popular reaction. There is no technical prowess or talent displayed in her movements it could be argued.
I would, however, agree with the opinion that Martha Graham was very much the founder and 'Mother' of Contemporary dance in America. She bared herself unflinchingly through her love for movement. Her work was true to herself and therefore could speak to others who understood the movements and emotions she conveyed. I am not a big fan of the style itself but I admire Graham's approach to her art and determination to stay true to herself through her dance.

1 comment:

  1. Ooooohhhhh, I like this..perhaps your new focus could be letters of old. There are books full of letters written by famous people - young and old - focus on the words of love letters, letters sent during war etc...

    January 8, 1845

    Monsieur, the poor have not need of much to sustain them -- they ask only for the crumbs that fall from the rich man's table. But if they are refused the crumbs they die of hunger. Nor do I, either, need much affection from those I love. I should not know what to do with a friendship entire and complete - I am not used to it. But you showed me of yore a little interest, when I was your pupil in Brussels, and I hold on to the maintenance of that little interest -- I hold on to it as I would hold on to life.

    This letter was written by Charlotte Bronte, English writer, to Professor Constantin Heger.

    ReplyDelete